Have you ever required to water proofing your basement? Even if your basement is up to date with no cracks or mold or never flooded, still there are chances of experiencing water damage. It is better to be ready for the situation by water proofing your basement. Basically basement is constructed either entirely or partially underground. The ground water is just below the soil, this can be one of reason of water proofing your basement. A flooded basement can also be the cause of health hazard. Even after the water is removed from the basement and the areas are totally are dried, still there are chances of observing mold and mildews. For not facing any of such situations, it is advisable of water proofing your basement.
- Sealants works best while thinking of water proofing your basement. The most common entry points for water are from the cracks and cuts observed in the basement. Cracks found in the foundation of the floor are another way. But the good news is the cracks can be easily by using sealant.
- Special sealants are available that are directly used for sealing the cracks on its inner side. It is injected into them and prevents the leakage of moisture observed. Even multiyear warrantied sealant is beneficial for the home owners.
- The rain gutter installed in your roof should be mounted away from the foundation. It helps in water proofing your basement. Cleaning the gutters is important but while having the process, covering the nozzle with a guard for preventing from any leaf or debris into the foundation.
- Water proofing your basement is easily possible by avoiding the accumulation of water surrounding the foundation of the home.
- If the downspouts are not properly mounted, it can damage the foundation of the home. Downspouts are installed for discharging accumulated water from the roof to the ground. If it is not placed properly, the water will discharge and pool up around your home. The water will seep into the foundation and damage the basement.
- Installing a downspout extension is a better option. It is mounted on the exit part of it and is extended away from your home. in simple words, discharging the water five inches away from your home is worth helping you in water proofing your basement.
- Proper grading and sloping of the soil around the basement is an important step for water proofing your basement. Slopping it correctly reduces the change of collecting water and helps in protecting from water leakage in the basement.
- If you have installed any sprinkler system at your home for providing water to the plants and garden, make sure it is not being sprinkled on the house. it might not be the sole cause for leak but should not be avoided too.
- Sump pump is very much useful in water proofing your basement. Installing one will solve you flooding issue. A sump pump functions in collecting the water from the interiors and pumps outside away from the home premise.